Old man Winter... ya gotta GO!!
It's SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES YO!!
For it's been cold way too long and it's time to watch the flowers bloom... to feel the weather warm a little bit more everyday while the sun bathes the face (with the proper sunblock applied of course) and most importantly.. it's BERRY SEASON!!!
So in the next few weeks.. i will be celebrating ALL the berries... strawberries... raspberries.. black berries.. blueberries... you name it we will be playing with it!!
Since we are still on the winter cusp.. let's start out with a winter/Spring Berry dessert... the cobbler.
You love it.
Mixed Berry Cobbler...
(feel free to use any or all of the suggested berries, depending on taste of course)
1 package (16 ounces) Strawberries, sliced
1 package (6 ounces) Blackberries
1 package (6 ounces) Raspberries
1 package (6 ounces) Blueberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cups plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into pieces
3/4 cups heavy cream
Whipped cream or ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2.Combine berries and lemon juice in a bowl.
3.Mix 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch; pour over berries and stir gently.
4. Place berries in a 2-quart or 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
5. Place flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
6. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Stir in cream to make a soft dough.
8. Drop by spoonfuls over fruit. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
9. Bake about 50 minutes or until top is well browned and juices are bubbly.
10. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
(recipe and pic adapted from Driscolls)
*signing off with Springtime X's & O's*