I love seafood... and have been experimenting with different kinds of loveliness from the sea lately... here's one of my new abso favo recipes for a dish of delish!!
Mussels In a White Wine Sauce
2 pounds mussels, scrubbed clean under running water
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped roma tomatoes
1/4 cup minced parsley
(recipe adapted from simplyrecipes.com)
1 Put the mussels in a bowl of salted water for 10-15 minutes.
2. Throw out any that are wide open or refuse to close when you handle them. 3. Looking over the closed mussels, see if any still have their beards and pull them out, pulling slowly and strongly towards the hinge of the shell.
4. Put 1/2 cup of dry white wine in the bottom of a large pot. Add the mussels to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
5. Cook until shells have opened, and the mussels are just cooked, looking steamed and soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Try not to overcook, or the mussels will be rubbery and hard.
6. Once the mussels are cooked, carefully remove them from the pot to a bowl, one-by-one using tongs, including those that have broken loose from their shells. Do not discard the water in the pot!
7. Let the water in the pot settle for a minute. Any grit will settle to the bottom. Gently pour out the cooking water into a measuring cup, leaving the grit in the pot to discard of later. If the water you've measured out is still a little gritty, filter out the grit using a sieve.
8. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the shallots and cook a couple minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a minute more. Slowly add about a cup of the filtered mussel cooking water to the saucepan, stirring to create a smooth sauce. Add the minced parsley to the sauce.
5 Place mussels in serving bowls. Pour some sauce over each bowl of mussels.
slice a baguette rub a garlic clove over it a little butter and pop in in the oven for a few for a nice toasty edition to your mussels!!
And there you go ... a delicious appatizer or side dish perfect for any meal!!
*signing off with delish-ious X's & O's*