Red Velvet Waffles and Biscuits and Gravy (swine free)
For the Red V Waffles
2 cups 1% low-fat milk or buttermilk, or a vanilla or chocolate soy/almond milk works too!
3 1/2 tablespoons cream of tartar (skip if using real buttermilk)
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons applesauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
FOR RED VELVET COLOR
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 Let the cream of tartar sit in the milk for at least 5 minutes to make the buttermilk. If using real buttermilk, skip this step.
2 Whisk the sugar, egg whites, applesauce, and oil with the buttermilk in a large mixing bowl.
3 Gradually whisk in 1 cup of flour in 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup increments.
4 When 1 cup has been blended, whisk in the vanilla, salt, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
5. If using red food dye, add it now too.
6. Whisk in the remaining cup of flour in the same fashion.
7. Coat a waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto the waffle iron and cook until nicely browned, scraping off with a spatula.
9. Good with maple syrup glaze... (just add a lil milk, melted butter, powdered sugar, maple flavoring and syrup) and top waffles.
Biscuits and Turkey Sausage Gravy
1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed, or turkey breakfast sausage, or 1/2 n 1/2
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2-1/2 cups whole milk
1.Bake biscuits according to package directions.
2.Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and keep warm.
3. In the same saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
4. Stir in sausage; heat through.
5. Place two biscuits on each serving plate; top with gravy.